Setting up your Focus Modes
Make sure to set up your focus modes and habits
before you start using the app.
To setup your focus modes:
- Click the Focus Bear icon on your taskbar
- Click "Set up Focus Modes".
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Creating a Focus Mode
- On the Focus Bear menu, click Preferences
- Click on the Focus tab.
- Click Add Focus Mode
- Type activity you want to focus on.
- Click Add Focus Mode
Starting a Focus Mode
- On the Focus Bear menu, select the Focus Mode you want to do.
- A pop up window will appear.
- Set the duration of your focus block.
- Check Skip microbreaks if you want to continue working with no break during your focus block.
- Click Start Focus.
NOTE: A pop-up banner will appear to remind you to take a break. You have the option to postpone your break.
Website Blocking and Unblocking
Block Apps and Websites entirely
Permanently block distracting websites all across the different Focus Modes on your device
- Open the Focus Bear icon.
- Click "Preferences".
- Click "Settings".
- Click "Blocked URLs"
- At the bottom left corner, click the '+' icon
- Type the site or app to the block list and click Add
To unblock websites:
- Click on the site
- Click the '-' icon
Block and Unblock Apps and Websites for a specific Focus Mode
To block or allow certain sites of each Focus Mode, follow these steps:
- On the Focus Bear icon, click Preferences.
- Click Focus.
- In the left pane, select a Focus Mode.
For App blocking:
- On the right pane, select your preference for app blocking:
* Allow all apps will not block any apps.
* Allow selected apps will block all other apps except those in the list
- At the bottom left corner, click the + icon.
- Type the site or app to the block list.
- Click Add
For website preference:
- Select between:
* Block everything will block all other sites except those in the list
* Allow everything will allow all other sites except those in the list.
- At the bottom left corner, click the '+' icon.
- Type the site or app to the
- Click Add.
To unblock a site or app:
- Select the app or site.
- Click the '-' icon.
Setting up your Habits
Set your Start time and Finish time
- Go to Preferences > Edit Habits > Timing
- Enter the time for when you want to start doing your morning routine.
- Enter the time for when you want to start doing your evening routine.
- Enter the number minutes for how often you want to take your breaks
* Winding down time - after this time, optional activities in the Evening routine will be skipped and only the 'Must Do' activities will run.
(See Advanced Settings for Activities)
Adding activities to your Routines and Breaks
- Go to Preferences > Edit Habits
- Select the tab for which you want to add activities to (Morning Routine, Evening Routine, Micro Breaks).
- Click the "+" sign to add a new activity.
- In the empty box that appears at the bottom, type in the name of the activity.
- Enter the time duration for how long this activity will take.
- Option: uncheck "Use Timer" if you don't want this to be a timed activity.
- To reorder the activities, click and hold the dots on the left then drag the activity up or down to its desired position.
Advanced Settings for Activities
Click the "More Options" button beside the activity to see more settings that you can configure.
Here you can set the following:
- Priority - whether the activity is optional or a must-do. (See Start and Finish Times)
- Days - which days of the week to run the the activity
- copy-paste YouTube URLs here to show videos during the activity. You may include several videos, and they will be shown at random each time the activity runs.
- use applications, websites, or a focus mode during this activity
- set Guilt-Free Play activity for unrestricted use of all apps and websites
- record things like how many pushups, or your mood rating
- take notes during or after the activity
- display a checklist of items during the activity.
- display text or image instructions during the activity.
- move activities between Morning, Evening Routines, and Breaks.
- duplicate the activity
Postpone and Reactivate a Routine
A pop-up window will appear to remind you to start your routine. If it's not a good time to do your habits yet, you have the option to postpone from 5 up to 90 minutes.
- Click the "Postpone" button on the upper right of the activity screen.
- In the pop-up window, select for how long you want to postpone your habits, then click "Postpone"
- If you need more time, you may also postpone for 4 hours by clicking "Deactivate Focus Bear for 4 hours"
- Focus Bear will remind you to resume your habits after the set time.
- To resume your habits:
- Click the Focus Bear icon.
- Click Reactivate.
Running your Routines and Breaks
Your routines and breaks will run automatically on the scheduled time that you set in the Start and Finish times.
- Click "Begin Habits" to start your routine.
- Your habits will play in the order and duration that was set.